Co-Labs are short-term “incubator” working groups facilitated by a TRCC community member. They could focus on a member’s new strategic initiative, a regional effort, or a TRCC-wide pilot.
Great ideas often spark between busy people from different groups who connect on the fly. Many sparks naturally die out, but a Co-Lab can provide an informal “hearth” container to keep sparks burning so the hottest sparks can more readily burst into collaborative project flame. Our first Co-Lab cycle participants found immediate benefits in building relationships, learning valuable knowledge, preventing wasted work, and catalyzing joint projects. In Carolyne Stayton’s (TransitionUS) words, “I see the Co-Lab … as an elegant first step in the Resilience Indicators Project and is likely the kind of step that can create a lot of momentum, build relationships and set this collaboration on solid footing right from the beginning. Seen in this way I think the Co-Labs are a brilliant idea!” As it turns out, the Resilience Indicators co-lab did establish a firm foundation for a larger-scale project that has already received further funding. The Map Your Future Co-Lab has already led to two grants for follow-on projects and was mentioned in the Rockefeller Foundation’s selection of Oakland as a winner in its 100 Resilient Cities Challenge. It’s exciting and rewarding to watch the co-lab seeds sprout and grow!
Co-labs usually meet in-person and/or virtually several times and produce a tangible deliverable defined by the team: a short report, gathering, analysis, art, etc. Co-Labs may apply for modest funding to cover facilitation time and expenses.
Co-labs tend to have an annual theme based on whatever’s up that year.
Our 2016 Co-Lab theme is regional convening. Three Co-Labs are supporting regional network-buliding in the San Francisco Bay Area, New England, and the Salish Sea.
Co-Lab Deliverables 2015
Our 2015 Co-Lab was the pilot of the Co-Project Initiative.
Co-Lab Deliverables 2014
- TRCC Workshop: New Economy Playshop (hosted by VillageLab)
- Public Workshop – Dismantling Racism in Our Communities: Building Collaboration for Resilience (cohosted by Catalyst Project and TRCC)
Co-Lab Deliverables 2013
- Resilience Indicators Co-Lab Report (TransitionUS) with Overview of Community Resilience Models and Toolkits
- Map Your Future Co-Lab Report (BayLocalize)
- Tools Resources Co-Lab Report (PostCarbon Institute) with Building Thriving Resilient Communities resource guide
- Weaving the Community Movement Co-Lab Report (TRCC)
Co-Lab Deliverables 2012
- Online Tools Group Report
- Design Support for the Bioneers Resilient Community Network Pre-Conference Intensive and Resilience Mapping Project
- HeartSpace Attunement – this website logo!
- TRC Story – this website!